Vegan Blueberry Cake
Blueberry Cake with a twist!
Recipe from Naturally Nourished by Sarah Britton
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coconut oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded, unsweetened coconut, plus 1 tbsp (15 mL) more for garnish
- 1 cup (250 mL) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 mL) cardamom, to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1 can (400 mL) full-fat coconut milk
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh blueberries
- In a 20 cm-by-20 cm (8 inch-by-8 inch) baking pan, add coconut oil, spreading evenly to coat bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup coconut, oats, flour, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine coconut milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, maple syrup and eggs. Whisk together.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir to combine. Do not over-mix. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter into baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Bake in a 350 F/180 C oven for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Slice into 16 squares. Cover and store for up to five days in the refrigerator.
Makes 16 servings.